Monday, October 21, 2013

prosciutto wrapped figs with goat cheese {recipe}

A few weekends ago, all the stars aligned, and {almost} all my cousins and my brother were in town from all parts of the country, at the same time.

We had an impromptu get together at my aunts house and I offered to bring an appetizer.
I come from a family of bakers and cooks and caterers. Foodies. So it had to be delicious.

For example, for this impromptu casual sunday lunch, we had the following desserts:
From left to right: Cousin Brian's brownies - super labor intensive but totally worth it - partly because I've never had to make them myself | Lemon layer cake made by my aunt using Miette's recipe | Homemade twinkies

{last minute dessert thrown together for our casual Sunday lunch}

Inspired by pins {here} and {here}, I picked up figs, prosciutto, and goat cheese on the way to my aunts house. I am a big fan of recipes with a short ingredient list and using things fresh and in season. 

Prosciutto wrapped figs with goat cheese


Ingredients:

 - 1 basket of black mission figs, halved
 - 1/2 log of goat cheese {I used Laura Chenel}
 - 1-4oz package of thinly sliced prosciutto {from Trader Joe's}
 - optional: honey for drizzling

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Scoop a small spoonful of goat cheese on the inside of each halved fig. Wrap each fig half with a small piece of prosciutto and place cheese side up on a cookie sheet. Each slice of prosciutto wrapped about 3-4 fig halves for me.  Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. They are done when the prosciutto gets a bit crispy, but before figs start to lose liquid. Serve immediately.  

If your figs aren't super sweet, you can drizzle with honey before serving. I didn't add honey mainly because they disappeared so quickly once I pulled them out of the oven and they were so good they really didn't need the added sweetness.  Notice the few missing figs in the photo above. I couldn't grab my camera fast enough!  

You could also make these ahead of time if your party isn't as casual as mine and you don't want to be working in someone else's kitchen as soon as you arrive. :) Assemble figs beforehand and refrigerate until needed.  Let figs come to room temperature before baking. Enjoy!

LMF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...