Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Frittatas

Does anyone else remember the scene in Morning Glory, when Rachel McAdams was in the middle of an interview for her dream job and gets distracted by Harrison Ford on television making a frittata, and then runs out of the interview?
via google images

Was this a little bit random for anyone else?

Finally!  I've had it on my list to post the recipes I've blogged about, but so many more other fun things have come up.  This is the recipe for the frittatas I posted {here} and {here}.

After I saw Giada make a frittata, and realized how easy it was, I was hooked.  It's so much lighter than a quiche, no crust, not as much cheese or cream.  And I think it's way easier than an omelette, which always somehow turns into a scramble for me.  Plus there are endless options. I always use it as a great way to use up the veggie's I have just sitting in my fridge.  It doesn't really matter what you want to put in it.  Once you know how to make a frittata, you know how to make a frittata.    

Ingredients:
6 large eggs
2 tbs half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbs olive oil
12 oz asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1/4" pieces
3 tranches prosciutto, diced (optional)
3 small tomatoes, seeded, diced
3 oz fontina cheese, grated

Preheat broiler.  Whisk eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper in bowl.  Set aside.

Heat oil in nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat.  Add asparagus and prosciutto and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add tomato and saute everything about 3-4 minutes more.  Reduce heat to medium and pour egg mixture in.  Let cook for about 2 minutes.  Sprinkle cheese all around the frittata.  I like to then take a spatula and lightly push down the cheese until it's covered with egg, so it doesn't burn in the oven.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the eggs are almost set but the top is still a bit runny, about 5 more minutes.  Put on top rack of oven and cook until its no longer runny and golden brown on top, about 5-8 more minutes.  Let frittata cool about 2 minutes.  

Use a rubber spatula to loosen the frittata from the skillet.  You can either slide the frittata onto a plate or I usually just put a plate upside down on the skillet and flip it over, like pineapple upside cake.  As long as you make sure to loosen around and under the whole frittata it should come out easily. 

Here are a few of my other favourite combo's.  Just remember to add the veggie's in the order of how long it takes to cook them, adding the one with the longest cooking time first.

1 - Spinach, Mushroom, Feta

2 - Spinach, Bacon, Fontina

3 - Broccoli and Cheddar

Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis {here}.

LMF

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...