Sunday, February 12, 2012

Gossip

I was sitting at the bar in a tasting room in downtown Carmel this weekend.  The place was pretty packed, but I couldn't help overhearing the two women sitting near me.  They were discussing another woman.  In detail.  I won't share what they said, but as I was listening, and the bad feeling in my stomach kept growing, I realized something.  I realized that I didn't even know the woman that they were speaking about and already I was on her side.  She could've been this absolutely awful person but hearing these other woman gossip about her only made me think ill of them, not her.  And of course I've always heard, and always known, that gossip can be hurtful and isn't right.  And I definitely don't consider myself a big gossip by any means (although probably none of us do).  But hearing this conversation really made something click.  The words that we say truly reflect only on our character, whether or not they are about someone else.  And I made an intention for myself, that I'd like to be more conscious of my words and what I am saying about others and what that really says about me.


The best lessons in life really are so simple.

LMF

2 comments:

  1. That's just terrible! People can be so cruel, and they don't seem to even realize it which is even worse. People should be focusing on putting positive things into the universe, not negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small minds discuss people. That is oh so true!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...